Journal #1
Chapters 1-3
Perspective of Atticus
These past few days have been quite interesting for me. Ever since Scout started school, things have been acting up a bit around here. I also think that new teacher needs to get acquainted with the folks 'round here. I understand that awhile ago, Jem and Scout knew a boy named Dill. Personally I didn't like him too much. He seemed to be a little more daring than I would have hoped. He seemed a little too curious about the Radleys. I don't think Boo is someone to be messed with. After he stabbed his father, now I don't think anyone wants to go up to their house. I remember also how Mr. Radley pulled Boo out of that camp. Even after all the trouble he caused. I don't know if anyone actually won that case.
I'm also worried about Scout. She needs to stop being so judgmental about the people around her...like the Cunningham's. Even though they may be less fortunate than us, they still are no different that anyone else that lives a decent life. That little Walter Cunningham does have a good brain though. I talked to him for a long time about farming any he knew what I was talking about most of the time. I respect him and his family. They're a good bunch.
Unlike those Ewell's. Those guys are a disgrace to the Maycomb community. They never do their part in this town. It's only the very beginning of the school year and those Ewell's are putting a lot of intimidation on the teacher. All the Ewell's ever brought to this town was a bad reputation. I also feel bad for that new teacher, Ms. Caroline. It's only her first day here and she probably already wants to go home. She doesn't know her way around this town and it's stories as well as we do. We also have a choice to help her as a community or not help her at all. We should tell her about the eccentric ways of our town and how malevolent some people can be here.
As far as my life has been it's been good. I hope that my young girl finds school just as she thought it would be. She seems to enjoy reading and writing. I hope she learns to use that skill one day to her own advantage. Unfortunately I've been told that Ms. Caroline won't allow my daughter to read or write until the third grade. This bothers me knowing how talented my daughter is. If she has the ability to read or write then she should still allow it. As long as she isn't using her advantage to get ahead of the class in a wrong way, then I don't see what the issue is! I guess it really doesn't matter anyways. Every school teacher is different. I wouldn't really know though since I never went to school.
I am glad that Jem condescended to leading Scout through the whole school thing. He's such a good kid. When ever I give him my pronouncements he seems to do them. There are times when I wished he hadn't done something, but you can't always do the right thing. Jem is really a priceless person to have in our family. He seems to not give up easily and acts cocky sometimes. He's a kid who may take on challenges and not think twice. He's a really wild one, but that's why he's so special. Without my two children I would have nothing. I don't even know if Calpurnia would be around to help me around the house. I know she likes to watch my kids for me. It not only gives her something to do but I think she likes watching them grow up. I'm sure my wife would be proud of Calpurnia for taking such good care of the kids while I'm not around. I really don't know what I would do without her. As much as I like to spend time with the kids, I do enjoy my job. I like being a Lawyer. I get to see a lot of interesting cases, and some crazy outcomes.
Even though I didn't go to school, I think my life turned out pretty well. I have two kids, a fine home, and a great job. Even in this tiny town of Maycomb, I still think there are many great opportunities. As far as I know these days could go in any direction. I just hope that they go more smoothly for my kids as they grow up and move out. I don't know what I'll do when I'm really old. I just don't want to end up like Mr. Radley. I hope Jem doesn't stab me in the leg with scissors or join a gang. I think Jem will turn out fine though. I also think Scout will learn to like her teacher. Well I'll have to see where the road leads me today. The whole world is just one big case, waiting to be solved.
(Note to Mr. Curran:
Blogger does not let you underline words. So all of the vocabulary words I put in this document are bolded. I will be doing this for all of my posts so look for bolded words.)
Sunday, May 2, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment