Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Journal #3- Chapters 8&9 Perspective of: Jem

Journal #3-
Chapters 8&9
Perspective of: Jem

Ugh..this week has been so stressful for me. I just wish that Scout would stop getting into fights. Even if it's about our father. Atticus is proud of both of us and I know that he wouldn't want Scout and I getting into fights. The problem with today was Scout getting into a fight with one of our own family members, Francis. Francis seems like a kid who doesn't know his place or his family. He called my Dad some mean things and knowing Scout, she isn't going to take that. She chased him for awhile and finally she just decided to be patient with him. So Francis ran into the Kitchen and hid there. He peeped his head out of the Kitchen every once and a while to mock Scout a bit. Then both of them got kicked out of the house because they weren't allowed to play in the Kitchen. Finally Scout and Francis came out of the house and Scout sat down. Francis was wandering around and as if he wasn't TORMENTING Scout enough. He came over and said those mean words again, right to Scout. As if Scout just turned into a world famous boxer, she cracked Francis right in the face and they got into a fight. Uncle Jack came out and separated the two from each other and held Scout back. As if to make a swift EVASION from Scouts unsaid accusations, Francis said that Scout called him some nasty words and Uncle Jack became angry and spanked Scout. Francis got away clean for awhile until Scout and I got home. Uncle Jack came to our house and went into Scouts room. From what I heard, Scout was able to explain to Uncle Jack what Francis said about my Dad. Apparently Uncle Jack did not care about Scouts foul mouth as much anymore, and became focused on what Francis said instead. I don't agree with Scouts problem solving method, but I'm happy that Francis got what was coming to him.
Also, a little while ago, disaster struck Maycomb. It all started after Mr. Avery told us that the weather changed depending on the behavior of the children. Soon it started snowing around our town and it got really cold. Then we remembered that Mr. Avery had told us that disobedient children were the cause of bad weather. Scout and I were UNANIMOUS and thought that it was partially our fault in our minds. After Scout and I decided to make a snowman we went over to Miss. Maudies front yard. We saw her covering her plants with sacks. She said it would keep them warm and that way they wouldn't die. Scout and I didn't really know anything about what she was doing but we just agreed with her. Scout and I asked if we could take her snow from her front yard and she was more than happy to let us take it. So we slowly gathered up as much snow as we could with the basket she let us use. Once we finally had enough snow to build a snowman, I went in the back yard and got some dirt. I took that dirt and formed a snowman body out of it, then we covered the dirt with snow and it almost looked like a real snowman once we put on the eyes and arms. We also added a gut to the snowman to make it look like Mr. Avery but my Dad made us change it because he didn't want us making fun of Mr. Avery. So we took away the gut and put Miss Maudies hat on the snowmans head and gave it Ms. Maudies hedge clippers to hold. My Dad said it was okay after we did that. Later in the night, my Dad woke Scout and I up and told us to get ready to get out of the house. After a few moments, Scout and I realized the neighbor hood was on the verge of bursting completely into flames. Miss. Maudies house was almost completely ablaze and when we got outside my Dad told us to go stand in front of the Radleys gate. I wasn't to scared about the situation until I saw Mr. Avery stuck in his top floor window. Soon he got loose and landed on a mattress below the window. After the fire was put out we went back home and my Dad noticed that Scout had a blanket around her. We didn't know she even had it on her until our Dad mentioned it. Our Dad said that Boo Radley must have come out and put it around me. This not only shocked me but it made Boo Radley less MALIGNANT. Almost as if the TYRANNY he caused all those years ago is gone. I don't know about that Boo.

No comments:

Post a Comment