Saturday, May 15, 2010

Journal #4 Chapters 10, 11, and 12 Perspective of: Atticus

Journal #4-
Chapters 10, 11, and 12
Perspective of: Atticus
Well now the kids know. I didn't think they would find out for awhile but they did. I guess being the deadest shot in Maycomb isn't as bad as they think it is. Scout is going crazy over this and I think she's proud of me for this. I think Jem has a different opinion on this though. He almost seems as if he was afraid. Jem is the first child so he's known me longer than Scout, so that's probably why he was so devistated. Jem never knew that I could kill something, and that's what probably made him act that way. So I pretty much shot a dog a while ago. The kids saw it walkin' around and Calpurnia told me it had Rabies. So I came home with the Sheriff and ended up shooting that dog. I havn't shot anything in a long time so it felt awkward, almost like I was ISOLATED from the rest of the world for a moment . Unfortunatley the dogs death wasn't the only death that happened in our neighborhood. It all started when Jem got his birthday money. He went to the toy store with Scout and when they passed Mrs. Duboses house she called me some obcene terms. Jem took it personally and went to the toy store to buy the toys he wanted including a baton for Scout. When they were coming home, Jem stormed into Mrs. Duboses front yard and destroyed all of her plants with Scouts new baton and he broke it over his knee. When I got home I found out what happened. I was PERPLEXED by whatever reason caused Jem to do this. On my way home I was DEBATING what punishment I should give to Jem for doing this when I thought he should have to read to her after school for two hours a day and regrow her garden for a month. Jem told me why he did what he did and I still made him do it. Jem read to Mrs. Dubose and got AQUAINTED with Mrs. Dubose a little more. I ENTRUSTED Jem with his responsibilities and he did them. Sadly Mrs. Dubose died a few days later but she was free of her Morphene addiction when it happened. She sent Jem a thank you box with one of her flowers inside of it and I don't think knows that she meant well and was apologizing to him for all the things she said. Our days got better later. Jem and Scout went to church with Calpurnia and I understand that they had a great time. Jem and Scout got to learn a little more about Tom Robinson and the accusations he has on him. Scout doesn't really know what he did but Jem might. Maybe now they will understand a little more about what's going on.

No comments:

Post a Comment