Journal #6
C.) How do you think the story (what you read so far) would have changed if Scout and Jem had a mother present in their lives? Would it change for the better or for the worse? Explain your thoughts.
In my eyes, I think Scout and Jem would have a different life. I don't know if their lives would be for better or for worse. It seems to me that adding a mother into the family may change it's ways, but it can also help Scout, Jem, and Atticus a lot. It would mostly help them physically. Atticus hired Calpurnia probably for one good reason, help. Atticus is one man and he can't do all of the housework and go do his job at the same time. Calpurnia is a slight mother figure in the family and she can provide benefits for the family. If their was a Mother around Calpurnia might not be in the story. Or it could just mean that Calpurnia and Mrs. Finch would be working together.
Another thing that would change for the Finches is their personal experience with Mrs. Finch. Now what I mean by that is, by having a mother around, Jem and Scout could go to her for comfort or advice. Scout would also get to know what it feels like to have a mother. Scout may have become more lady like even. I don't know if Scouts Tom Boyishness came from being raised by one man and having a brother, or maybe it came from her personality, I don't know. I do think that Scout would have changed a little bit if she had her mother around.
I do think that the Finches lives would be better if their mother was around, but it would have it's ups and downs. Every family has issues and you can't get around it. You just have to work with them and be happy that you have any family at all. Scout and Jem may be missing a mother, but they have a great father that makes up for her. So I do really think Scout, Jem, and Atticus would have a better life with Mrs. Finch around.
Sunday, May 23, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment